This blog was inspired by a series of awesomely terrible movies combined with tasty cocktails. We've decided that this is a tradition worth continuing and documenting! So here are some thoughts on the first movie.
This movie choice was inspired by my sister's and my early love of Olivia Newton John. We use to watch this movie over and over. I think Uncle P may have actually seen this one in the movie theater...
Wait a minute - did he just say "Open your eyes and hear the music"? I guess that's better than "unplug your ears and see that magic." (good catch, Apologetic Bartender!)
Some of the things we loved about this one:
- The terrible acting
- The entire premise - really, who needs a muse to open a roller skating club?
- And what was up with Sonny's job of painting large versions of the record covers? Bizarre, yet at the same time it's Uncle P's dream job as a commissioned artist.
- Uncle P would like to point out that without ELO the whole movie would have just implode.
- We would also like to point out how embarrassing it must have been for Gene Kelley end his career with this. Man, the 70's really did brain wash people into making bad decisions.
- Probably our favorite quote in the movie: "This is the best day in the whole world!
- Cougar Magnet was particularly disturbed by the climax scene/performance of the title track. Something about tightrope walker's balls resting on the the rope. If you need more specific imagery, it starts around 1:30 in this music video. Additionally, all the costume changes in the video are pretty much amazing.
XANADU, the drink recipe!!! (created by our one and only Apologetic Bartender)
1.5 shots vodka
freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
a splash of ginger ale
1 spring of basil
Truly a tasty delight!
Stay tune for more movies and drinks.