When I was a child my primary exposure to The Beatles was through this movie. Embarrassing, I know! Uncle P and I were the only ones to have seen the movie before this viewing. I'm sure Cougar Magnet and Apologetic Bartender are now convinced that their childhoods were severely lacking.
Some of the things we loved:
- The truly amazing line-up of big names in this movie, including Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Earth Wind & Fire, and many more.
- The total awkward attempt of George Burns trying to remove the trumpet from the wax figure's hands (32 seconds into the trailer).
- About half way through the movie we noticed that there was ABSOLUTELY NO dialog other than George Burn's narration.
- Super-creepy robotic masseuses
- During Lucy and the Sky with Diamonds, Cougar Magnet piped up with a question: "Are they saying 'Talk about the Love Sack'?"
- What could be more sexy than the combination of Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees?
- For the musicians out there, there is an amazing amount of bass in each and every song. Amazing amounts, I tell ya...
- The ultimate battle of the bands: Aerosmith (and Steve Tyler's lips) vs. Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. Obviously Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees would win that one...
- After watching the movie, we decided to look at the wikipedia entry on the movie. Our favorite part was the "critical reception" section, which included such gems as:
"conceived in a spirit of merriment, ... watching it feels like playing shuffleboard at the absolute insistence of a bossy shipboard social director. When whimsy gets to be this overbearing, it simply isn't whimsy any more."
"a film with a dangerous resemblance to wallpaper."
"the album proves conclusively that you can't go home again in 1978. Or, if you do, you'd better be aware of who's taken over the neighborhood."
Drink Recipe: HAPPY ENDING! (thanks to Apologetic Bartender)
- I don't think we came up with a specific drink for SPLHCB, but this one came about a previous evening, and was just too good not to share
a little muddled watermelon
1.5 shots vodka
garnished with a few slices of watermelon
Enjoy the drink and then enjoy the watermelon happy ending as a refreshing end to your drink!